Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Birth of Evelyn Rose

Evelyn Rose Kissinger was born on December 1st, 2010 at 1:45pm. She was 10lbs. and 2oz. and 21 inches long. I was 22 years old.

After having a pregnancy filled with heartbreak, happiness, more scarryness, overjoyment, pain, and irritation, I finally went into labor 7 days after my due date. Once again, I woke up at about 4am having to pee. I felt a SLIGHT cramping. I woke Brandon up and told him that I believe that my early labor had started. I told him that I was fine and that we should just wait, considering they wern't strong at all. His worry was that we wouldn't get to our birth center Sage Femme in San Francisco in time. We had moved to San Jose (an hour away) while I was pregnant to be closer to Brandon's job. So anyways, I told Brandon to go to work and that I would call him if and when the contractions got stronger. Well, two hours later, I called him and told him that I was for sure in labor. He came home and started running around the whole apartment getting thigs ready like a loonatic. LOL. It was so funny and cute to see him like that. I was still talking through my contractions, but I called my midwife Judi to let her know that my labor had started. She also talked Brandon into calming down. I also called our doula Shannon and as she was on her way over to our apartment, I decided to take a relaxing shower. My contractions were slower getting stronger and with every one, Brandon got more and more nervous. Shannon got to our place at a little before 12 noon and she brought donuts! So nice. My contractions immediately picked up and she started rubbing my feet and back. I wasn't able to really talk through my contractions anymore and they were coming really fast. Shannon called Judi and told her that we were on our way... an hours drive to the city.

The car ride was TERRIBLE! My husband's car is a Ford Mustang so it leaves little room to move. I put a pillow under my thigh to help lift my bum off the seat so the contractions wouldn't hurt so much. Shannon kept reminding me to "breath the contraction out...low breathing...low moans..." and it really helped. She also kept our 4 year old son Brandon calm in the back seat with her.

We arrived at the birth center at around 1pm. I got out of the car, and the pain went half away when I stood up. It felt so good to be out of that car. When Judi checked to see how dialated I was, she said I was 8cm! I had progressed about 4cm in ONE hour! We all immediately made our way to the birthing suite and I got into the birthing tub. The pain went half away again. It was sooooo relaxing to be in warm water all to myself. Brandon and our son Brandon Jr. we're giving me water, and rubbing my hair; it felt great. I was completely dialated shortly after. Just as i started to push, our friend Anna came into the birthing room. She had made it! And about 5 minutes before Evelyn was born, my mother-in-law walked into the room. I was sooo happy she made it! Okay, it was time to really give it a hard push because Judi said her heart rate was dropping a bit. I had no idea she was crowing but I just listened to Judi's voice and did was she told me to do. She told me to look down and Evelyn's shoulders we're already out! I had no clue! LoL. Brandon cought her and I pulled her out of the water on to my chest. It took her about 5-10 seconds to start crying but when she did, the whole room filled with joy! My placenta was delivered 10 minutes later with Evelyn still attached by the cord. Brandon and Brandon Jr cut the cord together. I had no tears at all.

We left 5-6 hours after she was born. I was able to walk out very easily for just having a baby. I felt GREAT actually! It was so nice to be home in my own bed where I could relax in comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment